I've been making an effort to learn Flash a bit better the last two months or so; I'm taking a class in it, which keeps me busy and gives me things to try new stuff out on. As a kid I really enjoyed making Haunted Houses with the doors and windows that would open, and I thought I'd work that into a sort of Halloween card. Just in case it's not clear, click the flashing orange stuff.
Friday, October 30, 2009
I've been wanting to design a "monstrous"-type creature in 3d for awhile; and when I started kicking around ideas one of my first thoughts was the old D&D staple, the bugbear. Looking around on the web I wasn't too impressed with some of the other designs that have been produced for this creature. I did a few pages of rough sketches for head designs last year; and one always stood out as creepy and somewhat goblin-ish, which was a right step in the direction I wanted to go. I pulled it out again recently; and started making some tweaks on the design, and after making some silhouette shapes, I put the two together and managed to pull out the final concept. I'm pretty happy with it, and I think it'll look great once it's fully realized in 3d.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
I posted a very early version of this sketch a while back; and I was never very happy with how the composition worked. I put it aside for awhile, and over the last month or so I've been really trying to re-work it to tell the exact story I wanted. I finally feel like I've got the composition about as strong as it can be, so I've started going in and working in a little more as far as the major shapes and what's going on.